Table of Contents
In this ultimate oil change prices guide for 2019 you will find how much does an oil change cost at Jiffy Lube, Walmart, Valvoline, Sears, Midas, Goodyear, Firestone, NTB and some other local auto service centers. We analyzed oil change costs for all types of motor oils (standard, synthetic-blend, full-synthetic, high mileage) and give you useful tips on how to save money and when should you get your oil changed.
Oil, that magical golden elixir that keeps your automobile engine in pristine form, is often the most overlooked aspect of maintenance.
Mileage takes precedence over the owner manual or the ‘3000 miles or every three months’ thumb rule. To make matters worse, most people fail to notice the subtle warning signs that vehicles start to throw at them, indicating that it’s time for an oil change.
A ticking noise when the engine starts, a rough idle, a knocking sound and a stubborn gear shift are telltale signs that you need to get the oil checked. If you continue to use your vehicles with sludgy, contaminated and dirty oil, then it can severely affect the longevity of the engine.
Rookie mistake folks! If you are guilty of the same, then the time for an oil change is now. The tough part though, is far from over, for the next question beckons.
What will it cost to change the oil?
Well, to be honest, oil change is the cheapest form of preventive maintenance that you can invest in for your automobile. Having said that, if you are a student on a frugal budget or a first-time car owner, there’s every possibility that a sneaky sales rep might take you for a ride. Here you can read the ultimate guide on how to get the cheapest oil change near you.
So, it pays to be informed and updated about oil change prices at all times.
How much does an oil change cost?
That depends on three key variables.
- The type of motor oil used: There are four main varieties to choose from. At the top of the range is synthetic oil, which offers better resistance to extreme temperatures and contains additives to protect your engine. Synthetic blends come next followed by high mileage motor oil. Last but not least, you have conventional motor oil. If you are unsure about which one to pick, refer to your owner’s manual. If the recommendation is for synthetic, don’t pinch your pennies and opt for a cheaper variety. Because of the premature wear and tear that occurs will cost you a lot more in the long run.
- DIY vs. Paid services: There’s always the temptation to change the oil yourself. And it does have its perks. Zero downtime (or so you think), fewer chances of unexpected damages, no sleazy upsell or hidden charges. But, it’s not recommended if you are doing it solely to save some money. Because it’s a time and labor intensive task. You will be spending hours watching YouTube videos, borrowing tools (or buying them) and heading to your buddy’s garage if you don’t have a jack stand to safely lift the vehicle. When you compare that with the convenience and cost of getting a quick oil change done at an Auto repair service, it’s a no-brainer.
- The Auto repair center: The average cost of oil change varies from one auto repair center to the other. While the discrepancy isn’t huge, there will be some variation in the cost of the oil, labor charges and the cost of the filter. For example, some repair centers emphasize that you buy premium filters only. That’s a $5 difference right there. It all adds up.
If you are curious about the average cost of the oil change at some of the biggest auto service repairs, then you are at the right place.
Sit back, grab a tub of popcorn and enjoy this read.
Walmart oil change prices
With a motto that goes, ‘Auto Service as you shop’ and 2500 centers around the United States, it’s no wonder that Walmart Auto Service is one of the most widely used repair centers in America.
You can park your car while you go shopping and by the time you pick your groceries and other essentials, your car has fresh oil. Bliss!
Walmart oil change prices are extremely competitive and they offer four different services for car owners to choose from.
- Pit Crew Oil Change: This is their least expensive service and includes 5 quarts of conventional motor oil, a brand new oil filter, lubrication for the chassis if applicable, a battery check and pressure check for the tires. As of now, Walmart uses Quaker State® Advanced Durability™ motor oil. But this is subject to change at any time. The Pit Crew Oil Change service is priced at a very affordable $19.
- Standard Oil Change: A standard oil change will cost you $29.88 at Walmart auto centers. It includes all of the above-mentioned services. The only difference is that they use Featured conventional oil which is a step up from the Quaker State variety.
- High Mileage Oil Change: The Walmart oil change cost for High mileage oil is $39.88. It includes all Pit Crew services with high mileage oil or GM Dexos compliant semi-synthetic oils. This service is recommended only for vehicles that have completed more than 75000 miles.
- Power and Performance Oil Change: If you were curious to know the Walmart synthetic oil change price, then it’s called the power and performance service. And it’s priced at $49.88. This is the premium service and they use the best quality synthetic motor plus oil, which is a recommendation for most modern vehicles.
Apart from the oil change service, you can also avail a fuel system service, where an oil change is clubbed with a complete cleaning of the fuel system, battery, tire and other services at Walmart.
Overall, Walmart Auto Services have good customer reviews. Their prices are reasonable and services prompt. With some luck, you can also avail yourself some coupons further reducing the cost.
Please remember that this Walmart oil change cost is the national price. There might be a slight variation in these prices at local stores (State-dependent)
Walmart oil change coupons
At Walmart Auto Centers you can save your money on replacing the motor oil if you use their coupons. So before each maintenance service make sure that you have valid Walmart oil change coupon.
How much does an oil change cost at Jiffy Lube?
Jiffy Lube rivals Walmart in popularity and their 2000 odd auto repair centers spread across America attract millions of customers each year.
But unlike Walmart, which more or less has a uniform pricing pattern across the country, Jiffy Lube oil change prices vary in states and even in local outlets within the same states. Jiffy Lube attributes this to the disparity in business costs, change in government regulations and variation in pricing from local suppliers. The price difference might only be slight though.
Just like Walmart, they offer a slew of different oil change services that vary in price depending on the quality of the oil.
Here’s a glimpse of Jiffy Lube price list for an oil change:
- Conventional Oil Change: Up to Five quarts of conventional motor oil, an oil filter and other standard service checks are included in this basic service. It is priced at $29.99 for the Formula Shell Oil and at $44.99 for Pennzoil.
- High Mileage Oil Change: The Jiffy Lube oil change cost for high mileage oil is approximately $8 per quart and is priced at $59.99. The oil used is Pennzoil high mileage oil and apart from protecting engines that have covered more than 75000 miles, the Pennzoil High Mileage oil is also known to help restore compression that depletes as the engine ages. If you have any leaky seals, those will be replenished as well.
- Synthetic blends: The Jiffy Lube oil change price for synthetic blends start at $59.99 and the oil used is Pennzoil Synthetic blend which the manufacturer claims, keeps your pistons at least 10% cleaner than what the competition does.
- Synthetic Oil change: The Synthetic oil change service starts from $79.99. If you choose Pennzoil’s Platinum synthetic oil, the price is bumped up slightly to $89.99. And if you have deep pockets or prefer to use only the best synthetic oil for your automobiles, then you can choose the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil which is priced at $109.99.
The Jiffy Lube Signature Oil Service
Apart from a standard oil change service, Jiffy Lube’s signature service is extremely popular among car owners.
It is a comprehensive maintenance service that inspects various essential systems like coolant levels, wiper blades, chassis (lubrication), brake fluid levels, air filtration systems, Differential/transfer case fluid, Power steering fluid, tire pressure, transaxle fluid and exterior lights, in addition to changing the oil and oil filter.
While the basic signature service includes conventional oil and starts from $39.99, you are free to select any oil from their lineup.
Alternatively, the Jiffy Lube technician will inspect the vehicle and recommend the best solution.
Jiffy Lube is also one of the only auto repair services in America that offers free top ups of the type of motor oil that you originally purchased from them, provided you visit between 3000 miles.
Jiffy Lube Oil Change Coupons
Another first for Jiffy lube is that you can avail discount coupons for different services directly from their website.
Not all coupons are accepted at all Jiffy Lube outlets though. To get the best applicable coupons, select the Jiffy Lube outlet closest to your home and browse through the accepted coupons for the oil change.
Valvoline oil change prices
Valvoline’s 1400 quick lubes or express service centers are preferred for their drive-in oil change service which performs 18 maintenance checks, changes your motor oil and oil filter, all in a span of 15 minutes while you are seated in the car.
Isn’t that just amazing? If you are short of time or hate spending time in a waiting room while your car is serviced at snail’s pace, you know where to head to. But with a mindboggling variety of oils to pick from, it is no wonder that first-time visitors to a Valvoline quick lube feel overwhelmed.
Here’s an estimated price list of Valvoline oil change prices in 2019:
- Valvoline instant oil change prices: Valvoline’s instant premium conventional oil change prices start from $39.99. The service includes 5 quarts of Valvoline Daily protection conventional motor oil, the 18-point maintenance check that we mentioned earlier and a Valvoline oil filter replacement. This is Valvoline’s flagship offering and the oil is touted by many car owners to be way better than aftermarket brands of conventional oil.
- Valvoline High Mileage Oil: This is where it starts to get tricky. Valvoline offers two types of high mileage oil. There’s the MaxLife™ high mileage oil, which is the standard oil recommended for vehicles that have ticked past 75k on the odometer and they also have a Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife™ technology integrated into it. So, if you wish to replace your high mileage oil with synthetic oil instead, then this blend might be a good pick. It is priced at $89.99.
- Valvoline synthetic oil change price: The SynPower™ full synthetic oil is Valvoline’s bestseller. This is a premium quality synthetic oil that is often recommended for luxury vehicles. It cost $46.99
- Synthetic blend: $36.99 Valvoline’s synthetic oil blend is called DuraBlend™. It is a blend of Valvoline’s synthetic and conventional oils and is cheaper than a full synthetic oil replacement.
- Other types of oil: Last but not the least, Valvoline also offers heavy-duty engine oil for Diesel vehicles, 2-stroke engine oils for vehicles with smaller engines, 4-stroke engine oils for ATVs and motorcycles and racing motor oils for sports cars. The prices for oil changes for these vehicles are location specific.
Valvoline’s top-rated service
Valvoline is one of the few quick lubes in America that have a near flawless customer rating. They are friendly, skilled and go about their job fast.
Not to mention that they are a lot cheaper than getting an oil change at a dealership. With a variety of oil change packages to choose from and some great discounts thrown in, it’s almost a no-brainer decision.
Getting discounts on Valvoline prices – Valvoline Oil Change Coupons
Valvoline runs promotions and discounts year round and it is quite possible to land up to 40% off or more on their oil change and other auto repair services. The most often coupons that you can find at Valvoline are:
- $7 OFF on Valvoline full synthetic or synthetic blend oil change
- $5 OFF on Valvoline conventional oil change
The easiest way to get a coupon is to sign up for their email newsletter. Alternatively, you can find some great deals on Groupon too. Keep your eyes open.
How much does an oil change cost at Firestone?
Firestone Autocare has more than 1700 locations around the United States. It’s not a quick lube mind you. But their services are often cheaper than a quick lube franchise. And they offer some great discounts on their website itself.
Firestone oil change prices, for example, are among the cheapest in the business.
Firestone standard oil change can be availed for just $24.99 currently thanks to a discount coupon. That’s at least $5 cheaper than Jiffy Lube.
The only brand that can beat the price is Walmart with their Pit Crew service.
Surprisingly enough, both Firestone and Walmart use the Quaker State Conventional Motor Oil in their standard package. For all other varieties of oil (high mileage, synthetic blends and full synthetic), Firestone uses Pennzoil variants, which are compatible with most manufacturer recommendations.
So, you can choose from Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum Euro Full synthetic, Pennzoil Gold with Dexos blend and Pennzoil High Mileage.
The Firestone oil change cost for full synthetic starts at $49.99. But a $10 discount coupon is available year-round on their website. Like we said, great prices.
For heavy duty and diesel vehicles, they use Shell Rotella engine oil.
Along with the standard oil and filter replacements, Firestone also offers the mandatory 19-point preventive maintenance checks and vital fluid top-ups for free.
How long does it take to get an oil change done at Firestone?
As implied earlier, it’s not one of those walk-in and walk-out service centers. So, the time taken for an oil change depends on the number of customers in queue.
The estimated time is 30 minutes. But it can be more or less. That might seem steep, especially when you compare it with 10 and 15-minute oil changes. But on a positive note, you know that they don’t cut corners with your maintenance checks.
Firestone Oil Change Coupons
At the beginning of each month, Firestone offers new coupons. The most popular are:
- $10 Off any oil change
- $24.99 Firestone standard oil change
- $34.99 Firestone High mileage or
- $49.99 Full synthetic oil change
Getting an oil change done at Pep Boys
Oil changes at Pep Boys are all about cheap prices and fast services. You can ‘Trust the boys to get you there’ after all. They often have large hoardings on state highways offering aggressive discounts on their services. And their prices are on par with Firestone for standard oil change packages and are cheaper than most for some of the other pricier packages.
The Quaker State conventional package is priced at $24.99 with a coupon thrown in. It comes with up to five quarts of technician-recommended Quaker State conventional oil variant, an oil filter replacement, tire rotation, tread depth and pressure check and a courtesy vehicle check, which is similar to the maintenance checks and fluid top-ups offered by most auto repair centers.
The Pep Boys oil change cost for high mileage motor oil is $34.99 with a discount coupon applied. It includes up to five quarts of Pennzoil High Mileage or synthetic blended Motor Oil and the usual extras.
A Pep Boys full synthetic oil change is priced at $54.99 (regular price without a discount coupon is $79) and they use the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic oil, which is top of the range from the brand. You can also choose the Pennzoil High Mileage Synthetic Motor Oil instead if your car has covered 75k miles already.
If you choose Mobil 1 instead of Pennzoil, the same synthetic oil package will cost you $59.99.
The prices are pretty reasonable, they offer the same extras as the competition does and they enjoy a great reputation as well. There are 930 outlets all over the country. So, you can easily find one close to your home. Hard to go wrong with Pep Boys.
How much does an oil change cost at Midas?
Midas is one of the most reputed auto repair centers in the world and they have over 1300 outlets across the United States and Canada. Their services are generally considered pricier than the rest.
For example, Midas standard oil change package starts from $33.99. That’s a steep hike from the $20 oil change offers you usually come across, especially if you are to factor in the additional shop fees and taxes that would apply.
However, they always have some great discount coupons on offer. Currently, we were able to spot a $7 off coupon on their oil change service which reduces the price to $27. That’s almost identical to the rest of the brands.
Even better, we saw a coupon for ‘BUY 1 GET 1 FREE OIL CHANGE’ which gives you your next oil change for free within 6 months with some terms and conditions applied. That makes it completely worth the few extra bucks that you spend at Midas. If you wish to switch the stock New Quaker State conventional oil in the standard package with Valvoline, Pennzoil or any other premium brand, then $10 gets added to the base price.
The Midas oil change price for high mileage oil starts from $48.99 and their full synthetic oil change service (5/30, 5/20, 10/30, 0/20 synthetic oils) starts from $69.99.
Midas Mobil 1 full synthetic oil change is the priciest of the lot and is priced at $84.99 A non-stock filter will cost you an additional $10. All packages include up to 5 quarts of your selected oil, a new oil filter and basic preventive maintenance checks.
Midas has a great reputation among customers and you can trust the Midas touch as they say.
How much does an oil change cost at Sears?
Despite being one of the oldest brands in the automobile repair business, Sears has surprisingly cheap oil change prices.
For example, Sears standard conventional oil change package is priced at $19.99. That’s neck to neck with Walmart. Guess the old rivals just cannot stop competing.
If you opt for high mileage, it will cost you an even $36.99 at Sears Auto Centers. So, the difference in price reduces as you go higher in the hierarchy.
At Sears, a full synthetic oil change will cost you a very reasonable $51.99. There are garages that charge you $70 at least for a full synthetic. And they have a bundle that includes a full synthetic oil change, a synthetic filter and a tire rotation which is priced at $64.99.
Like all other brands in the biz, coupons can be availed to further reduce the prices.
Sears uses Valvoline motor oil in all their packages.
The premium conventional in the standard package, Maxlife in their synthetic blend package and Synpower in the full synthetic package. All packages include up to 5 quarts of oil. If your vehicle needs more, then prices per quart vary from one outlet to the other.
Complimentary services include topping off vital fluids, chassis lubrication, tire inflation and an overview of essential systems in the vehicle. And if you are a shop your way member, you can avail buyback points for each package that you choose.
Sears Oil Change Coupons
If you were to compare the prices alone, there’s not much difference between Sears and the rest. But if you are a Sears shopper, then you can avail some great discounts and rebates by clubbing your automobile maintenance with the rest of the shopping.
Sears Auto Centers usually offers the following coupons:
- $21.99 ($8 Off regular price) Sears conventional oil change
- $37.99 ($12 Off regular price) Sears high mileage oil change
- $52.99 ($17 Off regular price) Sears full synthetic oil change
- $64.99 ($23 Off regular price)Sears full synthetic oil change package
What is the average oil change price at Goodyear?
Goodyear has been synonymous with automobile tires for decades and their recent foray into auto services has been equally well received.
They have a vast network of auto service shops or lubes that have very competitive rates for oil change.
Goodyear most basic package for a conventional oil change is priced at just $18.95. That’s the cheapest oil change price among all popular auto repair services. So, if you an old schooler who still believes that conventional is the best, you know where you can get it for the lowest price.
The Goodyear oil change price for High Mileage oil starts at $43.95. If you have a GM vehicle from 2011 or a newer model, then you will require the Durablend or Dexos compatible oil which is priced at $49.95.
Full synthetic starts at $63.95, which is a little higher than some of the other brands that we have reviewed.
Goodyear Oil Change Coupons
Having said that, Goodyear runs discounts year round and a coupon is available at all times on their website.
A $10 discount on Goodyear full synthetic service brings down the price to $53.95 and they throw in free, four-tire rotation. That’s a great deal.
They also have a $5 discount on their conventional or synthetic blend package. That reduces the Goodyear oil change cost for the basic package to $13.95. Beat that!
Which type of motor oil you can buy at Goodyear Auto Service Centers
Goodyear uses Valvoline premium oils only though. So, if you prefer Pennzoil or Mobil 1, then you’d have to head to Midas or Pep Boys for an oil change.
How to find the best cheap oil change price near me?
We would never drive 50 miles to get a better deal on an oil change service. Neither would you.
So, we are constantly on the lookout for the best local places to get a cheap and fast oil change. But if you search for ‘Oil change prices near me’, you will most likely be bombarded with aggressively marketed services. In other words, the big boys.
The fact though is that there are many micro businesses who can give the big box ticket stores a run for their money with competitive pricing and personalized attention. It’s not always easy to find these businesses though. Yelp can be a great starting point to begin your search.
You get detailed and recent reviews. The time of the review is equally important. Because the quality of service might change over time. Some service that was highly recommended three years ago, might have deteriorated off late. So, always read the most recent reviews on Yelp.
If that doesn’t help, go the good, old word of mouth way. Seek references from friends and close ones. Also, don’t rate a service purely by the price of the oil change.
- Look at the quality of the oil they use.
- Do they use aggressive upsell or sleazy sales techniques?
‘Sir, you need an extra quart of oil which will be chargeable.’
‘Sir, we think your compressor’s conked off’
Stay away from such places.
- What extras do they offer?
- How skilled are their technicians?
- Do they overtighten oil filters?
Sometimes, a quick lube is the easiest and cheapest option folks.
How much does a synthetic blend and full synthetic oil change cost?
A full synthetic oil change price always looks steep when you compare it with blends or conventional motor oil change. But does your car really need synthetic? Or can you afford to cut corners and opt for cheaper varieties?
Much has been written and spoken about the perpetual synthetic vs. conventional oil debate. So, we won’t add further to it.
The key takeaways that we have gathered from experts are this.
- Frequent short trips, extreme temperatures, high performance (hauling goods) = Synthetic oil
- Frequent oil changes, normal usage, normal temperatures = Conventional oil
- A blend is a middle ground between the two. It gives you better performance than conventional but not as good as full synthetic.
The average cost for a full synthetic oil change range from $65 to $85 depending on the location, the car model, the oil brand and the number of quarts of oil needed.
This reduces significantly if you choose a synthetic blend instead, where the average pricing is $35 to $45.
All said and done, your owner’s manual is your best resort before springing for the better sounding deal. Sometimes, your existing warranty on the engine for potential problems can get voided if you don’t comply.
If you own one of the newer cars from European car makers, like Volkswagen, Audi, Mercedes-Benz & MW or some high-performance models from Subaru and Honda, then it’s a given that you’ll need a synthetic oil change.
How much does high mileage oil change cost?
An old car that you love to the moon and back is most likely an irreplaceable part of the family.
All the more reason for you to be prompt with oil changes. Because once that odometer starts to tick beyond 75000, you know that the engine is no spring chicken. It will start to react sooner to sludge, heat, cold, dirt, just about anything that it could once endure without as much as a sputter.
High mileage oils are your best bet. These have a higher viscosity and are formulated with seal conditioners that will swell the existing crankshaft seals, thereby preventing hardening and leaks. Also, these oils will prevent the damage caused due to sludge. While they aren’t as expensive as full synthetic oils, they aren’t cheap either.
The average High mileage oil change price is $55 to $60 for Pennzoil or Mobil 1 at most auto repair centers. You can get cheaper brands for $45 to $50 though.
But we don’t really recommend opting for cheap brands when the difference in price is hardly a few bucks.
How much does standard (conventional) oil change cost?
The prices for conventional oil changes have really reduced in the past few years. Some attribute it to an increase in competition. Others cite fluctuating oil prices as a probable cause. Either way, we aren’t complaining.
If you use conventional motor oil, then you are in luck. You have some great prices on offer.
The cheapest Standard oil change price that we’ve found so far is at Goodyear. It’s $18.99 normally and with a $5 coupon, you get the service for an incredibly cheap $13.99. As always, confirm whether the coupon is applicable at the Goodyear outlet that you head to.
The next best price for a standard oil change is at Walmart and Sears. That’s $18.99 with the cost of a filter included. Walmart even gives you some nice freebies.
Most of the other auto repair services have an average cost of $19 to $27 for the standard oil change. Anything more than $30 is considered a rip-off.
Things to know before going for an oil change
Most car owners procrastinate an oil change for reasons best known to them. Do not be that car owner. If you feel that your car needs an oil change, it probably does.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you head out for a quick change of oil.
- The right time to change the oil: If your car doesn’t have a service reminder alert system, your owner’s manual is the holy grail of car maintenance for you. Refer to it and stick to the recommended schedule. Everything else, including the mechanic’s recommendations and your personal experience, should be taken with a pinch of salt.
- Know the type of oil your car needs: Conventional, full synthetic, blends or high mileage? What does the manual say? Learn about the viscosity index and the common viscosities. Maybe you don’t need expensive oil.
- Beware of the upsell: The upsell is an unavoidable and annoying part of the oil change service at most auto repair centers. Lend a patient ear to it but demand that you sign off for anything extra.
- Know what’s included: A lot of auto repair centers advertise unbelievably low prices for an oil change. But that’s usually the base price. When you get the final invoice, there’s a shop fee, additional taxes and whatnot added to it. So, if the deal sounds too good to be true, ask them what’s included in it.
That’s it, folks. We hope that you enjoyed reading our ultimate guide to oil change prices. If you have anything to add to this, please reach out to us. Also, do share your experiences at these quick lubes and auto repair centers with us.